Job opening: Deputy Director
DFLA is seeking a passionate pro-life leader to join our team. We are looking for an engaging, high-energy advocate who is passionate about advocating for life in the Democratic Party. If you care about human rights, enjoy responsibility, and are an accomplished self-starter, we want to hear from you. Experience with a pro-life organization previously is helpful, but not necessary.
DFLA is the country's pre-eminent organization representing the pro-life wing of the Democratic Party. We perform lobbying, issue advocacy, and support pro-life voices in the Democratic Party. Our mission is to end abortion by advocating for pro-life and Whole Life issues inside the Democratic Party.
The Deputy Director will report directly to the Executive Director, serving as a critical member of our team. At this stage, hours are negotiable, but the long-term plan is for this role to be full-time. It could be either remote or based in the Washington, DC area.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for someone who is engaging, high-energy, and passionate about pro-life issues, especially from a left-leaning or moderate perspective. The ideal candidate would have ~2-3 years of experience in the workforce but we are open to college graduates who can demonstrate other experience and interest in this area.
The role of the Deputy Director will be broad-ranging, encompassing the following areas:
- Support our board and Executive Director in defining DFLA's overall strategy
- Help maintain good relations with other pro-life organizations, Consistent Life Ethic groups, and Democratic Party organizations
- Lead our lobbying & electoral efforts
- Recruit and support our talented and passionate volunteers
- Define DFLA's organizational structure, including its committees
- Provide guidance to our state chapters
- Develop our state chapter network to expand to all 50 states
- Motivate and recognize DFLA volunteers
- Support our candidate recruitment efforts
- Organize DFLA events (e.g., protests, conferences)
- Help write and issue communications, including press releases
- Speak publicly on behalf of DFLA, as an official spokesperson
- In cooperation with our Development Director, steward critical donor relationships
- Draft an annual report on our activities
- Bachelor's degree
- Must be pro-life for the whole life
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Willingness to go the extra mile
- High level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Willingness to work remote or in DC
Differentiating but not critical characteristics:
- Leadership experience
- Experience leading a non-profit
- Experience in fundraising
- Experience in politics (state or federal)
- Private sector experience
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and one-paragraph pro-life statement to our portal here. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and applications will not be accepted via email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please direct any questions to Xavier Bisits through our contact form.
Due to limited resources, we cannot reply individually to every person who applies; we will follow up within a week of an application being made with all individuals advancing to the next stage of the process.
DFLA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all our employment programs and decisions. Discrimination in employment on the basis of any protected class under federal, state, or local law is a violation of our policy and is against the law. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, covered veterans status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other protected characteristic.