Senator Casey (D-PA) introduced legislation to expand the PAF. Please contact your Senator and urge him or her to support S. 144, the Pregnancy Assistance Fund Expansion Act.
DFLA proposed a comprehensive plan that will reduce the number of abortions by 95% in the next 10 years by promoting abstinence, personal responsibility, adoptions and support for women and families who are facing unplanned pregnancy. The 95-10 Initiative seeks to reduce the number of abortions in America through Federal, state and local efforts as well as support and encouragement to volunteers and dedicated people on the front lines helping pregnant women. Much attention has been given to ending abortion or keeping it legal. We believe that we must do more to reduce the abortion rate by helping and supporting pregnant women.
Preventing pregnancy is an important part of reducing the abortion rate in America. There are several ways to address prevention, but there is no clear consensus because of ethical, religious or personal reasons. There are several bills before Congress that address pregnancy prevention. While we have not endorsed a particular bill, we support finding the most effective way to reduce unplanned pregnancies. We cannot deny that abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy, but we also cannot turn our heads and pretend that our children are not engaging in risky behavior or the fact that contraception is not 100 percent effective. The Federal government has made a commitment to support prevention efforts and allocated arecord $288.3 million in FY 2005 for family planning under title X. The program provides access to contraceptive supplies and information to all who want and need them. A priority is given to low-income persons.
Supporting Pregnanat Women is critical to reducing abortions in America. Pregnant women who wish to carry their children to term have not received that same commitment from the Federal government. We support helping pregnant women who wish to carry their children to term but because of lack of resources believe abortion is their only option. Senator Bob Casey (D-PA), Congressman Lincoln Davis (D-TN) and Pro-life Democrats in Congress who share this same commitment introduced the Pregnant Women Support Act in the U.S Senate and U.S House. The legislation is a comprehensive approach to provide support for pregnant women who want to carry their child to term. Most of the provisions were included in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) under the Pregnancy Assistance Fund (PAF).
- establish a toll-free number to direct women to places that will provide support;
- collect accurate data on why women choose abortion;
- makes grant money available to states for pregnancy counseling and childcare on college campuses;
- provide accurate information to patients receiving a positive result from prenatal testing;
- provide counseling in maternity group homes;
- increase the adoption tax credit and makes it permanent;
- eliminate "pregnancy" as a pre-existing condition in health care insurance policies;
- provide grants for ultrasound equipment;
- support informed consent for Abortion Services;
- increase awareness about violence against pregnant women;
- require the State Child Health Insurance Program to cover pregnant women and their prenatal children;
- makes grant money availabe to states for free home visits by registered nurses to new mothers.
Protecting Children is critical. We must protect our children by passing the Child Custody Protection Act, continue to promote Safe Haven laws and support funding for programs such as the Abandoned Infants Assistance.
Click here for more information on 95-10.
Democrats For Life of America, 601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, South Building, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20004 202.220.3066